The Antique Cream Separator Gallery

A website devoted to antique cream separators.

Forum

Forum Home > Introduce yourself > New member in Central Missouri (and California)

Blue Fox

Hi, I go under the name of Blue Fox in forums for to long to explain reasons.  Anyhow, my brother Dave and I restored a McCormick separator in July at his home in Lancaster, CA.  It was the family's farm original (central Missouri) and had suffered from neglect for the last 50 or so years.  All the parts were still there, except for the O ring.  Most were rust, dirt, grease, and mud dauber covered, so we decided to strip to bare on the frame, and lightly clean and paint on the tinned parts.  The only identification we could fine was on the cast bowl of the frame at the top front.  That number appeared to be:  R2 535554.  There was also a marking on the top locking nut which is:  819 C No 3.  There were part numbers cast into the parts, but nothing that resembled a part number other than these.

The paint scheme was pulled from a blue speck on the handle & cover assembly, the other colors were just what we thought would look good.  There just wasn't any paint left, even under the screws or covers.  We did do a complete disassemble and clean up.  After installing the cones, etc, it seems to run fairly smooth at needed speed.  We just used 30 wt oil in the drive and haven't pushed the unit at any speed.  

While we have no aspirations of even using this to make butter from grocery store whole milk, we would like to try to identify the model name and approximate age of the unit.  My personal memory goes back into the mid 1940's, and it seemed old at that time.  The farm has existed since the 1870's, so the history could go back a ways.  If anyone has any information to share, we would be interested.  Just this morning, a neighbor that we had mentioned the separator to, e-mailed that he also had a McCormick Deering in a old caving in shed and he found a Manual in some old paperwork.  I have not seen it, but it may also contain some information if they are the same model.

The separator is now setting under a covered porch in the high desert of California.  There is some thought as to using the platters and top  for flower pots as that may be the best current use for it.  We have no idea as to value, but assume that it probably is in the $100 - $200 range.  If this is realistic, then a flower stand may be what it ends up doing.

Any comments are welcome as to the age, value, condition, or current use of this machine.

Sorry for the long post, thank you in advance.

--

Blue Fox (Roger & Dave)

August 23, 2012 at 10:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Blue Fox

I think this may work for a link to the pictures in Photobucket.

--

Blue Fox (Roger & Dave)

August 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.